Temporary Registration

stethonchartIf you are ill while away from home or if you are not registered with a doctor but need to see one, you can receive emergency treatment from the local GP practice. You will need to register as a temporary patient. There are also two NHS walk in centres locally, please see below.

You can be registered as a temporary patient for up to three months. This will allow you to be on the local practice and still remain a patient of your permanent GP. After three months you will have to re-register as a temporary patient or permanently register with that practice.

To register as a temporary patient simply contact the local practice you wish to use. Practices do not have to accept you as a temporary patient although they do have an obligation to offer emergency treatment. You cannot register as a temporary patient at a practice in the town or area where you are already registered.

Clinics for Temporary Residents

Please note we can only see temporary residents to deal with urgent matters that cannot wait until you return home.

All patients who are not permanently registered at The Filey Surgery will be seen by an Emergency Care Practitioner in the first instance. If she is unable to deal with your condition, after she has taken relevant details and done some initial examinations, you will be asked to wait to see our Doctor on duty.

We are a busy surgery and can only accommodate patients in our waiting room. Please make alternative arrangements for family and friends if possible.

Walk in centres


Scarborough Urgent Care Centre

Scarborough Hospital

Woodlands Drive, Scarborough, YO12 6QL


The urgent care centre in Scarborough is open 24 hours a day, 365 days a year. It is situated in the Accident & Emergency Department of Scarborough Hospital.


Bridlington GP Access Centre

Bridlington Hospital (Entrance A),

Bessingby Road, Bridlington, YO16 4QP



The GP Access centre in Bridlington is open from 7am to 11pm, 365 days a year. No appointment is necessary. Over 2 year old's only.

Call 111 when you need medical help fast but it’s not a 999 emergencyNHS ChoicesThis site is brought to you by My Surgery Website